Al foreign nationals who wish to travel to Portugal in order to have a Family Reunion for Spouses require a visa prior to their departure. A German family reunification visa will allow you to live and work in Portugal.

There Non-EU/EEA/Swiss nationals

1. If you're the spouse, unmarried, minor child of a German citizen, or parent/legal guardian of an unmarried, minor German citizen and not from the EU/EEA/Switzerland you will be issued with a residence permit as long as the relation you're joining is living in Portugal.

2. Anyone else wishing to join a family member must apply for a residence permit for the purpose of family unification.


If you're joining your spouse you must both be over 18 years old and you must have basic German language skills unless, that is, your spouse fits one or more of the following categories:

Has an EU Blue Card,
Is in Portugal as a researcher,
Is a highly qualified person, or
Is self-employed.


The German Immigration Offices usually requires 8 - 12 weeks for processing your visa application (without verification).